Here Comes the Sun
It's finally here - the post about the sunroom. (Or whatever you want to call it. It's a room, with two walls of glass doors. It feels like a sunroom with the doors closed, and then you can open the glass doors and have a semi-screened-in-porch. I think they call that a three season room, or is it a florida room, or a sunroom, or a porch? idk) Anyways, yup, this is the post. The one where I show the final room! I had ambitions about separate reveal posts and a process/cost post, but let's just be glad I'm posting in general. So here it goes ..
Let's start with the ugly. Here's the before. I believe these are the original listing photos of the sunroom. Note the blue astroturf floor, solid blue ceiling.
So, when it was finally time to work on this room, I began stripping down the room ...
And painting .. the house is white, and part of the room is the walls of the original house, so I just cleaned up the walls with some white paint and covered the ceiling too. I like the idea of a light blue ceiling, but this blue was painted shoddily - it's a gross color, it was also on the moulding AND the brush strokes were obvious and sloppy. So, long story short, I painted the ceiling white as well to open up the room and because I already had the white. (Thanks to bae for helping with the painting!)
The next question was the floor -- how could I replace the blue astroturf with something durable and cheap? I looked at several options and kept coming back to bloggers who had done a make shift wood floors (Like ShabbyCheekCottage, Tidbits from the Tremaynes or a random DesignSponge house I can no longer find.) I showed my dad one of these tutorials and he goes, 'oh well, you know, I have some maple plywood I'm trying to get rid of?'
Turns out, when my dad made some gorgeous built-in bookshelves for him and my mom, he had a lot of scrap wood because of the way he planned the panels. So my amazing father spent hours cutting the scrap into same-width planks of varying lengths. And we go to work ...
And it looked gorgeous!
So as we finished the surfaces, I began to plan some seating options. I was all over Pinterest, thinking about modular seating I might be able to build myself, or perhaps some floor cushions. Luckily for me, I meticulously check Craigslist. And this beauty suddenly popped up on the ol' man's list. Listed for $125, I got the couch/bench thing for $100. It has a beautiful Danish look and I think it's probably an antique.
I gave it a quick sand and a couple coats of a dark stain. Finding cushions to fit this base was difficult, but I ended up finding some floor pillows from Plow and Hearth. I ordered Navy, to match the Urban Outfitters rug I'd ordered. It didn't quite look like navy online, but I figured that the photo was just too bright online. Aaaaannnnd it was even lighter in person. Like seriously?! You can't call that navy. It's wrong.
You'll see I'm jumping ahead a little here to talk about the cushions. But I stained the floor. I wanted to protect it, and I considered just going with clear, but I wanted a little color. Just something slightly light and warm ... and I swear, this is not how it looked at the home improvement store. And I think I kind of screwed up. The stain is way too orange. It looks okay with furniture and all now, but in retrospect, I think I should have stuck with a clear.
Anywhooo, the royal blue was really bothering me. So after three to four phone calls with Plow and Hearth, and nearly a whole month, I was able to exchange the cushions, take these photos and get this dang post up. It's been a process.
Window treatments were next. I wanted some long flowy white curtains to frame the window-doors but I wanted a nice way to do it. I found some PVC pipe tutorials and really liked the look. I bought the pieces, spray painted everything gold and installed an L-shape of curtain rods.
And I really like how the curtain rods turned out.
A couple other undocumented projects: the great ceiling fan search (installed it myself!), spray-painted the outlet cover, reinstalled a string art piece I made earlier in the year (over the hole in the wall where the old oven fan was), found throw pillows and a furry stool at Tuesday Mornings and Walmart, spray painted the base of a small table my Grandma gave me and slapped a candle on it.
And here they are, the after shots ... (Photography people, have mercy: I only had natural light in the morning before work and the windows and glass table were frosted over.)
I think the red cushions look soooo much better! Well worth the wait.
And that's the sunroom, er, florida room. Whatever you want to call it. Eventually, I hope to paint the back door, but overall I'm super happy with this room and I can't wait to sunbathe in there this spring and perhaps event curl up with some blankets out there this winter. Either way, it's a beautiful space to walk through every day as I come and go.